Temporal Bone Dissection Course
Temporal Bone Dissection Course and Micro Ear Surgery courses conducted at Karnataka Ear, Nose, Throat Hospital and Research Center, Chitradurga, Indian, by Dr. Prahlada N.B.
6.Previous Temporal Bone Dissectors
7.Future Course Dates
1. Program Overview
The Karnataka ENT Hospital and Research Center presents an intensive two to five days (Participants choice) Temporal Bone Dissection Course in association with Dept of Anatomy, Basaveshwara Medical College and Hospital, Chitradurga, covering all aspects of otologic and neurotologic surgery. Temporal Bone Dissection lab is fully equipped with all instruments and personal video monitor. Participants can also record their dissection on a DVD. We present daily lectures and personal instruction. These courses are offered through out the year with prior appointment on first come first served basis. Only 2 candidates are accepted for each course.
2. Facilities Provided
Following facilities will be provided to the participants:
- Operating Microscope
- Micro drill
- Micro-ear surgery equipment
- Teflon Piston
- 2 Wet bones.
- VCD - Temporal Bone Dissection Guide
- Book - House Temporal Bone Dissection Manual
- Book - Surgical Anatomy of the Ear and Temporal Bone by Bruce Proctor.
Guidance by Dr. Prahlada N.B
Recording facility on a DVD which candidates can carry along with them and study dissection at a later time.
3. Course Objectives
The intensive 2-5-day course emphasizes temporal bone dissection relevant to the otologic surgeon and resident. Participants will:
- Learn and review basic and applied anatomy of the temporal bone.
- Learn and review temporal bone radiology.
- Learn and review current concepts in otologic diagnosis.
- Learn and review current concepts in the surgical management of ear disease.
- Apply contemporary surgical principles during temporal bone micro dissection.
- Learn and review techniques for ossicular remodelling and ossiculoplasty.
- Enhance past surgical skills and have an opportunity to attempt new surgical techniques in the dissection laboratory.
4. Dissection method
Using two temporal bones, practical "hand-on" training in surgical anatomy and surgical techniques are done sequentially. Following surgeries are practiced:
- Ventilation tube insertion
- Trans-canal facial nerve decompression
- Cortical mastoidectomy
- Modified Radical Mastoidectomy
- Trans-mastoid facial nerve decompression
- Endolymphatic sac decompression
- Internal auditory canal exploration
- Jugular fossa exploration
- Cochlear implantation
5. Lecture topics
- Secrets of success in temporal bone surgery
- Temporal bone anatomy.
- Variations in temporal bone anatomy.
- Radiology - Temporal bone, posterior fossa and Internal auditory meatus.
- Instrumentation techniques.
- Surgical approaches in temporal bone surgery.
- Philosophy of mastoid surgery.
- Drilling techniques
- Controlling bleeding during temporal bone surgery.
6. Previous Temporal Bone Dissectors
1. Dr. Sanjeev Guptha. Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, India.
2. Dr. Dilip Kumar Sahu. Bhuvaneshwar, Orissa, India.
3. Dr. Rishi Gautham Aggarwal. Ambala, Haryana, India.
4. Dr. K.K. Das, Duliajan, Assam, India.
5. Dr. Roopam Guptha, Saharanpur, U.P, India.
6. Dr. Sandeep Kulkarni. Sangli, Karnataka, India.
7. Dr. Manoj Kumar Gola, Lucknow, UP, India.
8. Dr. Ramachandra V.V, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
9. Dr. Vassiliki Paliobei, Thessaloniki, Greece.
10. Dr. Mayadevi, Kochin, Kerala, India.
11. Dr. Sridhar Manikonda, Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh.
12. Dr. Manu Seth, Jallundhar, Punjab, India.
13. Dr. Darshan Goyal, Faridkot, Punjab, India.
14. Dr. Vasumathi Bhat, Panjim, Goa.
15. Dr. Rajalakshmi Panigrahi, Bhuvaneshwar, Orissa, India.
16. Dr. Sharada Thelang, Nanded, Mahrashtra, India.
17. Dr. Ritu Nigam, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, India.
18. Dr. Moayed Ismail Aziz, Sulaimania, Kurdistan, Iraq. 2 Courses.
19. Dr. Ahmed Thabit Numan, Bagdad, Iraq.
20. Dr. Asif K P, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
21. Dr. N. Swamy, Umergaon, Maharasthtra.
22. Dr. Alberto Eibenstein, Rome, Italy. 2 Courses.
23. Dr. Ramachandra V.V, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India
24. Dr. Isha Tuli, Gangtok, Sikkim, India.
25. Dr. Suresh Kumar Vats, New Delhi, India.
26. Dr. Leena Rai Shrivastava Raigarh, Chattisgarh state, India.
27. Dr. Muhammad A Sherwani, Erbil, Iraq.
28. Dr. Nasser Khalil Muhammed, Diala, Iraq.
29. Dr. Nadhim Aram Khadim, OMAN.
30. Dr. Rupa Mehtha, Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
Dr. Vasiliki Paliobei from Greece performing Temporal bone dissection under guidance of Dr. Prahlada N.B while Dr. Mayadevi from Kochin is helping her.